"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly" - Richard Bach
You know when someone asks you a question about why you do something but you can't answer?
Stef asked me on Saturday night why I let one of my "friends" (the quote marks are: a) for the benefit of Stef who truly believes it and b) for me, as I'm coming to that conclusion, just slower, like a milk cart to Stef's Ferrari, so to speak) get away with stuff that I wouldn't let anyone else get away with. The question stumped me. I hadn't even thought about it until then. To be honest, until he asked me, I hadn't even realised that's what I was doing. I knew I let hiim get away with stuff but the fact that I wouldn't let other people get away with it hadn't even crossed my mind. The guy in question isn't even the type of person I'd want as a friend- I normally try to avoid people like him. He's arrogant (which is bad enough in itself, but made worse by the fact he denies it when he is SO arrogant!), conceited, sex obsessed (much more so than your average male) and he can be so horrible to people (though if I was around at the time I always told him to stop. And he was always nice to me). Stef is convinced this guy is only after one thing (and no, he doesn't mean an unconditional friendship) and that if it was any other guy he'd give them the benefit of the doubt but... it's this guy. I can see exactly where Stef is coming from but I don't want 'Mike' (nearly named and shamed!) to be 'that' guy.
The scariest thing is the fact I do continually let him off with stuff without even having a reason or knowing why. Scary.
Stef asked me on Saturday night why I let one of my "friends" (the quote marks are: a) for the benefit of Stef who truly believes it and b) for me, as I'm coming to that conclusion, just slower, like a milk cart to Stef's Ferrari, so to speak) get away with stuff that I wouldn't let anyone else get away with. The question stumped me. I hadn't even thought about it until then. To be honest, until he asked me, I hadn't even realised that's what I was doing. I knew I let hiim get away with stuff but the fact that I wouldn't let other people get away with it hadn't even crossed my mind. The guy in question isn't even the type of person I'd want as a friend- I normally try to avoid people like him. He's arrogant (which is bad enough in itself, but made worse by the fact he denies it when he is SO arrogant!), conceited, sex obsessed (much more so than your average male) and he can be so horrible to people (though if I was around at the time I always told him to stop. And he was always nice to me). Stef is convinced this guy is only after one thing (and no, he doesn't mean an unconditional friendship) and that if it was any other guy he'd give them the benefit of the doubt but... it's this guy. I can see exactly where Stef is coming from but I don't want 'Mike' (nearly named and shamed!) to be 'that' guy.
The scariest thing is the fact I do continually let him off with stuff without even having a reason or knowing why. Scary.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home