Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"At times I lie in bed wondering whether God really exists. At times I lie in bed wondering whether I really exist." - Mike Pilavachi

For the first time EVER I'm actually disturbed by a paragraph in a book!

The book is...well...I can't remember what it's called but it's the second book in The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King.

I don't disturb easily (in fact, I've been called disturbing myself) but... I don't know. See, Stephen King is a genius writer but none of his books have ever made me think ''Woah!" before.

I dont want to say too much in case anyone wants to read it themselves but basically this guy erm...how can I put this nicely?? Puts a cat in an oven and switches the oven on to 500 degrees (I think it was that, off the top of my head. Not that it's really relevant.). I think the bit that was most disturbing for me was the way he took his time to get the cat to be brave enough to go near him to begin with and after that he scooped the cat up and...well... the oven beckoned. The cat didn't really seem to trust him anyway but, as it was a stray and milk was on offer, it went over to the milk. Fatal mistake!!

Metaphorically, this can happen to the best of us- so many people bravely do something they don't really want to on the promise of something they need (or want). I think that's what disturbed me a little!

Well done Mr King! You rock!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home