Monday, November 14, 2005

*sniff* "Ah...strawberry notes. I'm getting caramel. I'm getting bitumen. I'm getting red wine up my nose!"

So....my first day at a new job over and done with.

After I'd put my stuff down at my desk, Liz (head of admin) showed me upstairs and Katie showed me how they do the filing, and then I had a go. (When I say showed me how, I mean she put the files in and I watched and had to figure out what to do myself!) After that we sorted out Friday's post (i.e. put it on the corresponding file and handed it to the fee earner) and then Alex showed me how they scan files in.
I did that for a while and then I went back to Liz (at her request), who then took me back upstairs and asked Alex if she could train me as she (Liz) had to leave early and isn’t in tomorrow (as it’s her birthday) so she had two days work to do.

Alex showed me how to log the files on the system and we spent until lunch doing that. After lunch (though I don’t think it could really be called that as I didn’t eat anything!), we logged on a few more files and then took them to the fee earners and collected the post (of which, there was tonnes!!) and spent the rest of the afternoon sorting that out, and then took it to the DX box thing and the post office.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my first day.

This afternoon, one of the admin ladies (can’t remember her name) said, jokingly, that I wont want to come back tomorrow because they’re all strange (that seems to be the traditional thing to say, as I was told it at the council and so were the temps, newcomers etc) and they’re right, I REALLY don’t want to go in. But not because they’re strange. I just really don’t think I could do this job for very long. I know I’ve only had one day at it but…well…I was actually longing to be back at the council. If you know me at all, you’ll realise what that means!
I guess it could just be because I have that ‘lost’ feeling you get when you don’t really know what you’re supposed to be doing, heightened by the fact that everyone around you does but I can’t help but feel that it is something more than that. I had the same ‘lost’ feeling when I started working at the Council, and at Argos but it wasn’t this bad (admittedly, there could be a reason for Argos). I could be wrong, but that seems to be telling me something.

I don’t know. I REALLY don’t want to go into tomorrow but I don’t have a choice. I can’t quit. And even if I could, I couldn’t this early on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home