Thursday, June 09, 2005

Force-feeding lies but calling it freedom

I am almost (but as you can tell, not quite) speechless at the audacity of politicians and government workers in general (myself and my colleagues not included. I can totally believe our audacity...........just kidding). Though I (and I'm sure many others) have long felt this, my distaste with them today is caused by one Mr Alan Faulkner, Executive Member for Environmental Services, Torby Council. Why, you may ask, am I bothered about some guy in a council that isn't even remotely near me? This should explain it...

The said Mr Faulkner has decided that the local crematorium has to remove it's cross. His defence is that "We live in a diverse, multi-faith society and many people have no specific beliefs at all. The facility at Torquay Crematorium is a ceremony hall, it is not a chapel." The arrogant git (I was going to use stronger words then but decided against it) then added "It is not our intention to offend or upset anyone by removing the cross from the wall." Well Mr Faulkner, you HAVE!!

I have friends from mnay different faiths (and indeed none at all) and not one of them would ever be offended at the sight of a cross. Crosses are associated with places of spiritual importance (except when it's hanging around some townie kid's neck) and plenty of non-religious people find some kind of peace at these places. The cross is a symbol of our faith- anyone who is offended by that should not be pandered too.

If the Muslim community were asked to remove thier religious symbols (such as the crescent moon on a Mosque) because local Christian's were offended, what would their reaction be? I am sure I am not alone in thinking that Christians would be criticised for being prejudiced. Why are people like Mr Faulkner only ever prepared to kiss the ass of 'newcomers' to the country while no concern is given to the religious belief's and practises that have been practised in this country for centuries?? Why are we the ones who always seem to suffer??

And the worst things is this is just the start...

In God we trust- may the cross go on before us...

Darkest (not afraid to show who she is and what she believes)
xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home